Josephine Panyin Mensah, the Takoradi ‘kidnapped’ woman has pleaded not guilty in her first appearance in court on Monday, Citi News reports.
Concerning the trending issue in Takoradi and Ghana at large, the Police recently claimed that she had confessed to faking the kidnapping and the pregnancy. Now the Citi News’ Akwesi Agyei Anim has also said that the woman, who was brought to the Takoradi Habour Circuit Court A by police around 6:00 am, appeared calm.
As it stands now, She is facing two charges of deceiving a public officer and publication of false news with intent to cause fear and panic in the country.
The current acting Director-General in charge of Public Affairs at the Ghana Police Service, ACP Kwesi Ofori in an earlier interview made it clear that the police were going to prosecute her because she wasted their time and resources by creating such a fake story and sending them on a wild goose chase.
“There is a greater possibility that she might appear before the court because she manufactured all these things with a figment of her own imagination and put the police into business. And we deployed a 40-member search team and even when we located her through public assistance, we took her to the hospital with policemen providing security, and where she claimed to have attended antenatal clinics, it turned out to be false. We went in for a second opinion and got a team of doctors to work on her,” ACP Kwesi Ofori said.
The media space in Ghana is been dominated over the past week by the controversial story of Josephine Panyin and her Kidnapping and pregnancy matters. As we all know, the news about her alleged disappearance went viral about two weeks ago and since then she has been the point of discussion.
From the earlier report after Josephine was found, she wasn’t able to talk and uses the written form of communication only, but as days went by the police came out again and said she has finally confessed to faking her pregnancy and kidnapping.
Claims that she delivered on the same day she was allegedly kidnapped with the baby taken by her supposed kidnappers have been put under scrutiny with the Western Regional Minister, Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah stating on Wednesday, September 22 that the said pregnancy was fake.
The police administration in a subsequent statement confirmed the minister’s claim.
Further, tests conducted on her at a different facility also confirmed that she was never pregnant, according to the police.
The police have interrogated a number of people in connection with her case.